Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Houston, The Eagle Has Landed

This weekend, 50 years ago, a great event in the history of man occurred. Two men landed their spacecraft on the moon. A few hours later, they exited their craft and actually walked on the surface of the moon. What an awesome event! I can remember being a young boy staying up together with my church family after Sunday night church services to watch  the first ever moonwalk. My anxiety was high as I feared for our newest hero, Neil Armstrong, hoping the surface wasn't quicksand or worse, that some moon monster would run on screen and gobble him up on live TV in front of 600 million people. Luckily for him, all went well.

As I look at the moon, it seems so far away, and it's awesome to think that these brave men traveled there and stood on its surface. Some skeptics still don't believe it really happened; in fact, a movie was made to that effect called "Capricorn One." But, I believe and will always cherish the memory of that moment.

That same year, another great event occurred. Oh, it didn't get the press of the moon landing, however it was none the less significant to me. Although many observed this event, only a few remember it at all. I remember my anxiety was high for this event also, not knowing what the future held. This event also involved leaving this planet and taking up residence in a foreign place- the heavenlies. 50 years ago, this 9 year old boy(me) walked the aisle at church and gave his life to Jesus.

In 1969, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were heroes on earth and the people rejoiced. But, in 1969, I became a hero in heaven, and the angels rejoiced. Insignificant? I don't think so. The astronauts had to have a lot of faith in the NASA scientists and engineers that sent them there. You will have to have enough faith in a loving God concerning your eternity and heavenly home. Are you a skeptic? Are you willing to take that first step? If you do, it will be one giant leap for your eternity.

Luke 15:10 ”I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Romans 10:9 "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
-Retired District Chief Jeff Boles

No comments:

Post a Comment