Search This Blog

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Own It and Learn

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly." -Proverbs 26:11

Every year for the past 8 years, Facebook and wonderful firefighter brothers remind me of this most ridiculous blunder. It had been another busy day saving lives(or maybe disregards) on Squad 18. We stopped for gas at the Valero on 45 and Dumble, which was customary. We went inside, while the pump did its thing, for caffeine and snackage. Our stay was extended as the other guy in the photo was looking at maps and planning for his trip to Wisconsin or somewhere. Whatever the case, I hopped in the war wagon, put her in drive and left. Just as soon as we started to move, we all heard a loud POP. I put her in park and looked at my now infamous blunder. Cameras were out immediately and here we are today. 

I have yet to make that mistake again. I might actually be just a little paranoid. I was a fool for doing it the first time. I'd be labeled far worse for a second. For the longest time I tried to blame the mistake on the distractions of the moment and busyness of the day, but the truth is, I did it all by myself and must live with the consequences of annual ridicule.

I wonder what mistakes in life we continue repeating? What other sins are out there that we continue to run to instead of from. What excuses do we make to cover our tracks. Who/what are we blaming other than ourselves? How often do we who are brave, strong, professional, educated, forgiven, and compassionate play the part of a fool?

May we learn from our mistakes and take the proper actions to never repeat them again. May we turn from sin and run towards Christ. May we own our stuff and properly place blame where it belongs. Let us grow in maturity, faith, and humility.
-Be Blessed
Senior Captain Bobby Delgado
HFD Chaplain

No comments:

Post a Comment